Lead Baker (baker 4)
Summary: The Lead Baker facilitates and participates in the production of dough's and breads that makeup the Tom Cat product line. The Baker 4 position is the highest level (Expert Baker) and is able to work as the lead baker in any area of the bakery including Mixing, all Scaling and Molding stations, Prep, and all of the Oven stations. The Lead Baker has a similar level of technical experience as the supervisor but is responsible for a smaller group of employees and is not responsible for discipline issues. The Lead Baker is required to act as a team leader in the area in which he or she is assigned. The Baker 4 will be responsible for the quality, quantity, efficiency, and timeliness of the breads in the assigned area. In addition they will provide training, facilitate bread processes, conduct inspections, document, and direct employees to enable them to meet the daily production requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Setup and breakdown scaling workstations, divider workstations, molder workstations, and oven workstations by following written and or verbal procedures for the setup and breakdown of these various workstations.
- Clean and operate various production equipment and tools including peel boards, couching cloths, proofing cabinets, bread pans, bread molds, dough knives, bench scales, dough dividers, baguette molders, long molders, divider rounders, kaiser molders, oven loaders, deck ovens, bread razors, pickup boards, bread peels, and roll peels by following both the written and verbal procedures associated with each tool or piece of equipment.
- Scale dough's by following verbal instructions from a Supervisor or by the reading and interpretation of production reports.
- Divide dough's by following the divider procedures for the particular intended bread type.
- Mold breads by following procedures for the hand molding or machine molding of each particular type of bread.
- Panning/couching of breads by following the panning/couching instructions for each particular bread type.
- Setup and work with the various ovens by knowing and understanding all the proper settings and operational procedures for the ovens and their accessories.
- Organize and setup oven loaders by knowing and understanding the procedures for the loading and unloading of the various bread types.
- Cut breads by applying the particular cut associated with each bread type.
- Know and recognize the correct color of bake for each bread type.
- Effective communication of production information to other team members and trainees by reading and interpreting various production reports.
- Ability to resolve quality and or process control discrepancies in a professional and diplomatic manner.
- Assume active leadership responsibilities in either the makeup or oven areas by directing these activities, and the employees who perform them according to pre-established production quality standards.
- Give instructions and OJT in specific tasks and activities to other less experienced team members
- Conduct inspections of products to verify quantities and evaluate quality.
- Analyze results (quality-efficiency- timeliness) with supervisors and employees in order to make improvements in performance.
- Responsible for the results of a particular product group and employee group.
To perform this job successfully the Lead Baker must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); minimum of three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend English including simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations in the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Thorough knowledge of the metric system.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
This position is responsible for leading and training a small team of people (usually between 3 and 6 employees) working at a specific workstation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the environment is loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to walk; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
- Willingness to learn and follow supervisor/manager instructions
- Willingness to act as a leader of a small and focused workgroup
- Spirit of cooperation with other workers
- Desire to work towards achievement of common goals
- Desire to adopt an attitude of continuous improvement
- Willingness to adapt to change